Tuesday, January 6, 2015

MMC 6936 Introduction

I brought the Gator Nation to the Grand Canyon!
Hi, I'm Tiffani Stephenson! This is my second semester in the MASM program (I took a break during the fall). I grew up in New Jersey and moved to Orlando when I was 13. I graduated from UF in 2012 with my bachelor's in recreation and event management. In addition to being a full-time student, I worked full-time as resident director for a local student apartment community. It's in this role that I got my first taste of social media as a business tool. It's also in this role I found a passion for marketing.

After graduation, I began working for UF -- first in development and then in facility operations. Before I knew it, my department became the topic for almost all of my summer projects. I realized there was a major opportunity for them to market socially. I did the research, identified goals, and provided tactics to successfully engage, entertain and educate our audience only to be roadblocked by a number of my colleagues who shied away from experimenting online. In my frustration (and entirely on a whim), I applied to a social media position for UF/IFAS Communications Services (ICS), submitted my proposal, and landed the job!

I've been with ICS since October, managing the main UF/IFAS social media presence and helping oversee the more than 300 UF/IFAS social media accounts across the state of Florida. Some of my responsibilities include strategy, content, analytics and measurement, site approvals and training.  I have really enjoyed applying what I learned in class to real-world scenarios and I know Ethics will be no different. There's a thrill that comes from working in such a fast-paced environment and learning about how to manage reputation, moderation, and privacy will truly keep me on my toes!

I juggle work, school, and owning a rambunctious puppy daily. In my down time, I enjoy traveling, listening to live music, practicing yoga, and binge-watching TV. I'm excited for this semester and can't wait to learn from all of you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment