Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Identifying Emotional Distress on Social Media

Maybe it was hearing news of the late Robin Williams' passing, or the countless photos I saw on my Instagram feed in honor of World Suicide Prevention Day last Wednesday, but the topic of emotional distress weighs heavily upon me. I have not personally experienced the loss of a loved one by suicide, but I have witnessed the pain and debilitating effects of such a loss. And as a social media user and marketer I feel a social responsibility in doing all that I can to identify emotional distress on social networks.

The Social Media Monthly posted an article today about Facebook and Instagram's significant roll-out aimed to help users recognize signs that a friend may be in need of help and how to connect them with available resources and assistance. So many times we (myself included) scroll upon troubling posts online and think nothing of them or that these individuals are being "melodramatic." But this is a perfect opportunity to recognize when potentially life saving action could and SHOULD be taken.

I appreciate and wholeheartedly support these networks' efforts to raise awareness and educate their users about mental health, and preventing suicide not only among college and university students, but any at-risk individual. The more resources made available to help family and friends identify when someone is distressed and determine the appropriate course of action could mean saving a life. No one is exempt, and I'd do anything to help someone I love.

0 comments:

Post a Comment